We’re looking for those who can help us stay sharper!
If you’re looking for your next challenge, then we’re looking for people who like to be challenged! If you can’t find a relevant position, feel free to reach out via our open application!
Apply to our U.S. office in Salt Lake City, Utah / our Finland office in Espoo.
Open Application, Finland
"*" indicates required fields
Aerial Sensor System Operator, US
Part-Time – Temporary Sharper Shape, a leader in aerial remote sensing data collection and processing, is looking for adventurous and technically savvy people to operate a complex optical, LiDAR, and hyper-spectral sensor system on helicopters.
The successful candidate will have:
- An iron constitution that isn’t prone to motion sickness
- Ability to operate complex computer software systems
- Strong communication skills even in noisy and chaotic environments
- Be willing to travel extensively
- Bonus: Experience with LiDAR and high-end aerial camera systems
The Aerial Sensor System Operator will play a key role in field operations performing aerial data collection, sensor installations, preflight/postflight inspections, troubleshooting, repairs, and data quality assurance. This is a field-based position requiring extensive travel by helicopter while simultaneously collecting ultra-high resolution photographs, LiDAR and Hyperspectral data.
This position will last for approximately 5 months with operations located primarily in California.
- Perform daily flight planning for collection operations
- Work in helicopters to capture aerial data around the electric utility grid
- Operate a complex aerial multi-sensor system including EO, LiDAR and Hyperspectral sensors
- Continuously monitor the system’s performance and the quality of the data being collected
- Manage large datasets and accurately transfer data assets from the sensor system to the postprocessing team
- Create daily reports to document the progress of flight operations
- Routine maintenance and troubleshooting of the sensor system
- Assist with uninstalling and re-installing the system as needed to accommodate the helicopter maintenance schedule
- Consolidate, validate, and upload data collected
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, Google Earth, and basic GPS analysis software
- Strong computer skills and ability to manage massive data sets
- Ability to quickly learn new hardware and software systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to think clearly and stay calm in highly stressful situations
- Experience working in and around helicopters as a Crew Chief, Pilot or Mechanic
- Prior experience as an Airborne Sensor Operator
- Experience working in and around busy flight lines
- Experience operating ground or airborne LiDAR sensors
- Knowledge of aerial survey technologies and aerial sensor systems, ideally as they relate to electric utility system inspections
- Experience with maintaining, installing and troubleshooting airborne sensors
- Prolong periods of sitting in the back of a helicopter while looking at screens
- Ability to work long days in extreme weather conditions, early mornings or late evenings
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required while working in and around aircraft Anticipated project dates run August 1st through October 31st, subject to change. Position is hourly and eligible for overtime. The typical work week is anticipated to be 40 hours. Position pays $35 – $45 per hour, depending on experience. This position is not eligible for company provided benefits. Candidate must provide evidence of health insurance and Worker’s Comp. Employment offers are subject to preemployment background and drug screening.
Open Application, US
Open Application, Remote
We’re ready to help your utility stay sharper!
Want your utility to stay sharper?